Sunday, April 20, 2008

LJ


I enjoy cooking. Even if it's simple things that please the kids like mac-n-cheese. I like the process of preparing and the sitting down to enjoy the meal with my family. Today Todd is at work to try to get a head start on a project that's due so it's just the kids and I. We sit down to eat and my sweet Lia starts complaining. It's always a bummer when you've taken the time to prepare a meal and all you hear is, "I don't want this!", "I don't like this!" From out of no where Lia is now angry about what I've served her to drink. She threatens to leave the house, to runaway and never talk to me. Really? All we did was sit down to eat a nice quiet meal together and now she is angry and completely changing the atmosphere at the table. I tried to encourage her but she wouldn't hear it. Here is our conversation:


"I don't drink milk. I will not drink this milk. I want water!"

I reply, "Lia, please drink your milk and when you're finished I will be happy to get you some water."

"I will have no milk go into my digestive system!"

I smile and reply, "Well as soon as your digestive system decides to drink that milk, I'll get you some water."

"My digestive system doesn't like milk!"

She moves to another seat at the table so that she doesn't have to sit by the mean Mommy! I could tell she was contemplating whether or not she should give in. After a few moments she takes a few drinks of milk and says, "Mom, I'm sorry that I was dis-re-pec-ful and angry." I of course rejoiced that her heart had changed, that she drank her milk and could offer forgiveness with a hug and a glass of cold water.





2 comments:

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

2 things:

1: I love that your four year old child used the phrase "digestive system" AND "disrespectful" in the same conversation.

2: I'm not sure I believe the story, because she's just so darn cute!