Thursday, October 1, 2009

friendship

If asked what the biggest challenge is when moving to a foreign land I would probably say, communication, language barriers. Following close behind would be the longing for friends. Friends that you know and that know you. Friends that you can sit quietly and comfortably with and feel safe. Friends that you can laugh with. Friends that you can share your greatest joys and deepest pains. Friendship. To know and be known.

Making friends and building a friendship takes time. There are times when circumstances accelerate friendship. We've met a few people in our short month in Korea that feel like we have been friends for many years. We are comfortable and feel safe when we are together. We laugh. We pray for one another. We share frustrations and the challenges of living in our new land. And though we have so much to learn about one another, it's o-kay. I'm grateful for that.

I think often about our friends back in the US. I miss them so much at times that my heart aches. Thank goodness for modern technology. I'm grateful for conversations over Skype. I indeed look forward to them. Hearing a voice that's familiar and seeing a face that smiles at you, is indeed good. But man, how I would just love to reach out and embrace my friend--you can't do that over Skype.

Tonight, Zach has a new friend over. His name is Suk June or as he said to us this evening, "you can call me by my English name, Simon." I'm so grateful that Zach has made a connection. I'm so grateful for everyone who has prayed for him. God has heard Zach's heart desire--there have been many tears shed and frustrations shared but today, today is a new day. Although Suk June isn't Holden or Sam, and although he and Zach are just getting to know one another, Zach has someone he calls, friend. A friend who is interested in him. A friend who wants to be with him. A friend to fill that void called loneliness.

Tonight as we were walking back from getting ice cream, Zach and Simon were walking with their arms around each other, laughing, and talking about video games. It seemed like such a normal moment. Normal moments are good.

God is good. He is faithful. He is near.

2 comments:

Somer said...

oh, praise God, how kind.

cari said...

When I saw that picture on Flickr I thought "Oh! A friend!" I am so happy.