What a wonderful day!
It began by oversleeping. All of us. Todd slept through his alarm and well, so did I since I never heard either of his alarms (if first alarm doesn't work, he has his back-up alarm.). Although Todd and the kids were trying frantically to get ready in 25 minutes, there was no screaming, shouting or whining--everyone just did what they needed to do and made it out the door just as the taxi arrived outside of our apartment.
Then I did what I do every morning; I cleaned. I love putting everything back in order when everyone is out the door. It gives me this freakish sense that I have control over our small space and this makes me feel like life is as it should be (I think I have a problem!).
After the home was in order my friend Haejin came over for tea. Haejin and I are the same age. Whenever we are together, we laugh a lot. I appreciate that about Haejin, she has a great sense of humor and we enjoy each others company. Haejin was concerned that the kids had appropriate comforters since the weather is getting cooler. I assured her they were fine but she came today with two comforters that her daughter had used--they are really nice and the kids will be happy to have something a little warmer on their beds at night.
My conversation with Haejin was beautiful. We spoke of how God met with each of us at different times in our lives. We spoke of Korea and North Korea. We shared about our longings to experience God in our lives. When our time came to an end, my heart felt full and grateful.
I was then off to meet my friend SJ (I'm using her initials for a reason) who last May went to NK. When she returned last June from NK, I was already back in the States. Today was the day for the two of us to catch up and for me to hear about her experiences in NK. I can't go into all the details here. I will say that I'm blown away and I left our time amazed at how big God is and hopeful for NK.
A little side note: When SJ and I were chatting a guy came up to us, obviously wanting to practice his English. He asked the normal, "Where you from?" Without thinking I said, "Canada!" That's where SJ is from and well, I am 1/4 Canadian. He then asked if I was married to a Korean. I tried not to laugh. I've never been asked that before. I also told him that SJ and I were sisters--which we are in the spiritual sense--he said, "Oh, nice. You are older sister?" Ya, I'm older sister.
I was then off to E-Mart to grab a few things for dinner tonight. I decided to take the 390 bus home. I don't normally take that bus but decided that I would today. While I was standing at the bus stop I started hearing this small voice shouting, "America! America!" I turned to look and my eyes met the most adorable little boy. He was pointing at me and saying over and over, "America! America!" Yes, I am America. I smiled and waved at him and of course he suddenly became shy. His grandmother kept trying to get him to say hello but he wouldn't budge.
I continued waiting and decided that maybe I could give him a cookie that I had just bought--food breaks all barriers. I walked over and handed him the cookie. A bright smile lit up his face--that smile quite possibly could have lit up the darkest night. I introduced myself to the two ladies with him--his Grandmother and Aunt. The Auntie spoke descent English and wouldn't you know, they live in Dongbaek. We rode the bus together and chatted the entire way.
Perhaps when that little guy grows up he'll remember the day he met America and she gave him a cookie!
1 comment:
oh kim. this is beautiful. all of it. what an awesome day you had!!!!! miss you. love you.
Post a Comment