Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween

Halloween is not a typical celebration here in Korea. Last year, Halloween came and went and we totally forgot about it. This year, Zach was thinking about it a lot. He wanted to have a party or go trick or treating. Trick or treating is not really an option since most Koreans would be incredibly confused if we came to their door in costumes and requesting treats.

I was out for a walk last week and saw a group of children in costumes walking down the street. I said, hello to the children and their teachers and they explained that they are an English Class and were having discussions about American Holidays so they must celebrate Halloween! It's not one of my favorite holidays to be associated with but the kids were having a blast and thought it was well worth getting out of class time to walk around asking for candy.

One of the teachers that Todd works with has two sons. It's been fun getting to know them and for the kids to have some other kids to connect with. Last year, Jeanie was Zach's teacher. Jeanie is from Korea and her husband is from Oregon. We decided to have a little Halloween Party for the kids at their home--much to Zach's delight. Zach and their oldest son, Ray, made all the party plans, Jeanie and Tim, made tacos and bought a pumpkin pie at Costco. Basically, we just needed to figure out how to get to their house, which is about an hour away.

Our evening was great! The kids had a scavenger hunt, we ate some yummy food and watched Ghostbusters. Which I hadn't seen since 1984!

I had a few pictures but they have somehow disappeared from my file. I can't find them anywhere. Weird.

A very belated Happy Fall and Halloween from S. Korea!

No comments: