Thursday, March 17, 2011

Zach turns 12 . . . and then 13


friends who make a birthday in Korea
Originally uploaded by kimmer67

Thankfully, we have a whole year before he turns 13. I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

March 11, 1999, Zachary Todd Stewart entered the world. He made only a few wimpers and mostly seemed tired by the entire ordeal that he had just gone through. He was perfect.

That day seems like yesterday. I remember every detail of that day and how amazing it felt to finally, after years of longing, to hold him in my arms. Now he's almost as tall as me. He still lets me hold him but it's a little harder for me to pick him up. The couple of weeks before his birthday we kept asking him what he wanted to do. He couldn't think of what he wanted to do--a ticket to America? Tranporter that would bring his best buds, Sam and Holden here to Korea?

He finally decided that he wanted to go to On the Border in Seoul to enjoy all you can eat chips and salsa and have as many margarita's that he could consume with all of our friends here.

Now, most of Zach's friends here in Korea are over 24 years of age. It's like he's been given a whole bunch of older brothers and sisters. These amazing friends have not only been a gift to Todd and I but they are a huge gifts to our kids. That sentence doesn't even express how grateful we are for these beautiful people.

Zach's day went a little like this:
1. Class party and cake #1. His class sang Happy Birthday in English and Korean and then his teacher sang to him in Inuit (he spent some time in Alaska).
2. Party and cake #2. The Veach's couldn't join us at On the Border so right after school they had a cake for Zach and sang Happy Birthday--again in English and Korean. Awesome.
3. Party and cake #3. We made the hour long trek to Seoul and fought the massive crowds in Gangnam and made it to On the Border. All of the people in the pic were there. Anna made a cake and Ashley made him the coolest birthday hat--ever! The entire room sang Happy Birthday and Zach consumed 2 or 3 margarita's! To say that Zach was excited is an understatement. The entire evening and on the trek home he said, "This is one of my favorite birthdays. I will always remeber it. And last year."

As all Moms can say, I think he's the most wonderful 12 year old boy in the world!

These are just a few of the things that I love about Zach. . . he's witty and has a great sense of humor, he's tender and compassionate, he's thoughtful, and courageous, he's smart and creative.

I'm sure glad he was born! :-)

2 comments:

Laura said...

zach is NOT 12, he just isn't! also, 12 backwards is 21. which means zach can have all the margaritas he wants ;-)

Becky said...

You let him have margaritas?! Am I missing something?!