Tuesday, December 20, 2016

"Fear not! For behold!"

My last post was in March. Wow! I was just sitting here laughing to myself at how I began the year and how the year has played out. I didn't see my photo/blog writing through--which I am bummed about but it's ok. A few of my dreams for the year have been fulfilled--thankful. I have wrestled with menopause and crazy health issues--fearfully and wonderfully made and fragile. Lia started middle school and is experiencing all that brings with it--she is beautiful and spicy. Zach is a senior. A senior! We have taken senior pictures, made a college visit, been accepted to a college and ordered his cap and gown! Slow down! Todd started a new position at work and has take up creating fun things out of wood with his very own hands--speakers, an ottoman, a bench and a new bed for Lia. Life has been sweet, challenging, frustrating, confusing and good. 

The world seems crazy and out of control most of the time. Watching or listening to the news causes anxiety. Allepo, ISIS, Racism, the Presidential Election to name just a few. It's all loud and can leave me feeling hopeless and confused. I want to do something to stand against injustices and rescue the broken and be a voice for the voiceless. So in my small circle of the world I try to listen, give, serve and pray. 

I am currently reading, Unwrapping the Greatest Gift by Ann Voskamp. It is a Advent devotional. This week several things struck me as I read. Habakkuk 2:1, 3:17-19


I will stand at my watch
    and station myself on the ramparts;
I will look to see what he will say to me,
    and what answer I am to give to this complaint.

Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior.
19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
    he enables me to tread on the heights.

Habakkuk was a prophet--that means he was a messenger--God's messenger. He was sad as he looked out over the city and saw the brokenness of the people. Things looked pretty grim. He asked God to do something. And to be quick about it. As I read Habakkuk's words they resonated in me. As I look out over the world, I see brokenness and things look pretty grim. There is a sense as you read Habakkuk's words that he wondered, "Will God come through? Will it be enough?" I ask the same things.

Ann Voskamp writes, "But God's unstoppable, unbeatable, unconditional love chases away all fears, and God's love made Habakkuk brave." 

Yes! Yes! Yes! When Habakkuk climbed the watchtower he sang out these words. In the midst of the sadness and uncertainly and failure, He reminded himself of who is True and Unchanging. All hell may be breaking out, the world may seem to be spinning out of control but I will be JOYFUL in God . . . "he saves us from the sadness and darkness and ourselves!" (ann voskamp)

Another song rang out on a dark night with a choir of angels announcing the GREATEST GIFT that would be given to our weary broken world--my weary broken heart. 

"Fear not! For behold!"

Jesus. The One who Rescues. Jesus. The One who Saves. Jesus. The One who gives Life and Hope. Jesus has come! The greatest gift, the greatest hope, the greatest joy are given in Him. I don't have to try to save myself or the world. I can stand at my watchtower and sing, 

"Glory to God in the highest, Peace and good will to all!" 

Today as I drove down Broadway, those words became my prayer, my song. In the midst of the chaos of Allepo, the uncertainty for my friend receiving chemo for cancer, the loneliness of a child who feels unheard, the injustices throughout the world and the weariness in my own body . . . I will be a bringer of the peace and hope of Jesus. 

Joy to the World! Jesus, the Rescuer has Come! Let earth receive her King.

"I will trust YOU, God, and I will watch, and I will wait. I will find joy, take joy, see joy! Rejoice and re-joys again!" (ann voskamp)

Merry Christmas! Don't be afraid. Behold!

No comments: