Today we visited a fun place for kids of all of ages, Wonderscope. The building was once used as an elementary school but is now a fun place to explore. Classrooms are set up with different themes--grocery store, space, tv/film, doctor/hospital, raceways and an art room. Zach spent most of his time in the Raceways room. There were different ramps and mazes--some you could construct yourself--that you would drop a golf ball in and watch it go. The room is sponsored and was designed by engineers. When Lia discovered the Doctors room she was quite excited. The room had actual x-ray pictures of different parts of the body and she spent a lot of time studying these pictures. Our 1 1/2 hours there were well spent!
The rest of the day Lia has talked about how our bodies have bones, muscles and blood vessels. Her question to me this evening was, "Mommy, why do we have bones and blood vessels." At first I'm thinking, I'll just give her a standard answer and hope that it will be enough. "Well, God made us that way." I knew that wouldn't fly with her--that answer would lead to another question. So in my very simple way I tried to explain why--why God made us this way, why are bones are under the skin as opposed to just being exposed, why the veins carry our blood and why are heart goes, thump, thump, thump. (I need help--where are all of our doctor friends when you need them.)
When you think about it . . . the human body is pretty amazing. I think the Psalmist says it well, "we are fearfully and wonderfully made."
1 comment:
That's so cool that Lia is interested in that so young! There is a really cool book called "In the likeness of God" by Dr. Paul Paul Brand and Phillip Yancey that describes the intricate way God made us and how that reflects the glory of God. You should check it out and share it with Lia. :)
Post a Comment