I am turning 40 in just a few weeks. When asked how I feel about this I respond with, "I'm really excited." I am excited. I'm not in some type of denial and this is my way of getting myself psyched about the start of a new decade of my life. I feel like there is much more for me to experience in my life, much more to learn and to enjoy and I'm looking forward to the journey. And hey, isn't 40 the new 30?
This past weekend we went to a birthday party for a friend. He turned 30. He wanted to do some crazy thing on his bike, "a test of strength and skill!" So he and some of his other biking friends were all in the garage watching and cheering him on as he set out to conqueror his birthday test of strength and skill!
I later teased him and said what was I to do now that I am turning 40 in a few weeks. What fear could I conquer? What test of strength could I face? (which sounds hilarious) or what kind of fun could I have perhaps with my friends?
At one time I wanted to run another marathon when I turned 40 but since that's out of the question I'm not sure what I should do. Todd suggested that I repel down some cliff or go skydiving. I've already been repelling and sure I was 16 years old and thought I could do anything and today I probably would be too scared to try. Skydiving? I don't think so. That is simply nuts.
Honestly, I don't have to do anything. It's not as if I'm having a crisis of identity by turning 40. But it is fun to set a goal for something and then work towards it. Or simply try something that I haven't before. Maybe I could try my friends crazy bike trick in his garage . . . probably not!
Any suggestions?
2 comments:
Well, I'm all about the feats of strength and so forth, but I can't think of anything Todd hasn't already thought of right off the top of my head.
So...how about learning Tai Chi? Fred takes a class at the Y and loves it. It'd be a really cool way to celebrate your being centered and in your prime, but in a really Chinese way!
Whaddya think?
Hugs, and early happy b'day,
Stacey
I think you should climb a high, beautiful mountain! =)
Post a Comment