Lia is always asking us what "words" mean. A few weeks ago she had heard the word, "impeccable" and repeated the word over and over, expressing how much she loved this new word she discovered. She didn't know what it meant but she loved saying it. Then she asked us what it meant so I got our Webster's and we looked it up. She was fascinated that there was an entire book of words, all with different spellings, letters and meaning. We now frequent our Webster's when Lia is curious about a word.
Here is our conversation this morning:
Me: "What a beautiful morning, Lia!"
Lia: "I like that the leaves are going to be on the trees again."
Me: "Me too! The grass is shooting up new green sprouts and the leaves are budding! It's beautiful!"
Lia: "Shooting! What do you mean? I'm getting the big book out."
Me: "o-kay."
Lia: (lugging the big red webster's to the kitchen): "I like this book."
Me: (explaining how we look the word up)"here it is, shoot: a sending out of new growth or the growth sent out: as a stem or branch with its leaves and appendages esp. when not yet mature.
Lia: "oh." (still a little puzzled)
Me: "the grass it like pushing up or shooting up from the ground."
Lia: "i like that."
1 comment:
forget Webster's Dictionary. Give it 20 years, and everyone will be reaching for the Lia-Joy Dictionary.
Webster has NOTHING on Lia!
Post a Comment