Friday, November 6, 2009

today on the subway

As I was getting on the subway today a very kind elderly man was worried that I had a seat. Our conversation went like this:

Man: "You sit here."
Me: "Jeongja. one stop. no problem."
Man: "oh, Jeongja. where are you from?"
Me: "United States."
Man: "I've been to united states 5 times. where in united states?"
Me: "Missouri/Kansas." (I didn't say, Chicago.)
Man: "Do you know sad news about Texas today?"
Me: "Yes, I heard the news today. It's very sad."
Man: "It is terrible news. Very, very sad. I'm sorry."

We continued to talk until my stop in Jeongja. I appreciate moments like this. I appreciate having a conversation when so often I'm unable to and yet long to. I appreciate that though this world seems so big, it's really very small. I appreciate that though our cultures are very different, we both recognize the tragedy of the human heart and the brokenness that we live in. I appreciate his concern for a people he does not know and his reaching out to me to share that.

No comments: