Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Real

Last night Lia and I were snuggling before bed. These are precious moments for me, she usually doesn't sit still long enough for us to snuggle for more than a few minutes. Last night she was calm, snugly and so tender. Oh, how it made my heart full and glad. We were sitting quietly, listening to music when she asked,

"Mom, how do babies get out of the Mommy's tummy?"

With Zach, I remember saying, "let's talk about this later." I remember that moment like it happened yesterday. We were driving down Stadium Blvd in Columbia, he was in his car seat and at the moment I didn't know how I should answer him so I re-directed our conversation. He was satisfied with talking about it later but last night, I knew Lia wouldn't go for later.

I sat quietly for a few moments and then answered her as best I could--she likes details so as simply as I could, I gave details. What followed my answer surprised me, it took my breath away for a second or two.

"That's what my Mommy in China did too. I don't remember it though. She was my "real" Mommy and then you came to China and now your my "real" Mommy."

I didn't really know what to say. She's never said that before. We've talked about "birth mom", "China Mom" but she's never said, "real".

I am her real Mom. I am Lia's Mom. Always and Forever.

6 comments:

annaelyse said...

yup. that totally made me cry. :O) love her little heart, and i love your BIG one too!!!

Unknown said...

the simplicity of a child, it's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Oh my word. So beautiful! That's a treasure forever moment right there!

Laura said...

sitting at my desk. eating lunch. tearing up. how i love and miss the stewart family!

KÄRIN [I write – therefore I am] said...

oh Kimmer!!

amy said...

Kim.

As an adopted little girl, I can tell you she's right.

You are indeed her real mom. Always and forever. God works it out that way JUST RIGHT. :)