On Tuesday, I was working at the school and talked to Todd about how great it would be for all the students to watch the short program. Yu Na was to skate at 1:00, we should find a way to let the kids watch. Eventually, every classroom had a laptop streaming the Olympic Figure Skating Short Program.
I joined Miss Kim (who is actually one of 4 Miss Kim's) and several of the Korean staff around Miss Kim's computer. The staff were so excited and nervous as Yu Na began to skate, we were all holding hands and our breath as she made each turn and jump. As she finished with a world record score, shouts and screams went up, we were all hugging and giving high fives. The staff were speaking in Korean mostly--they were so excited. In the midst of their shouts, Miss Kim said, "Mrs. Stewart, thank you for being happy with us for Korea."
I can't tell you how much fun it was to be with them in that moment. For this small country in Asia, that many people aren't really even aware of, all the world heard of Korea in that moment.
Today, I had to make a trip to the International Clinic in Seoul. I was hoping that my trip would be timed so that I could watch the finals today. As I was riding in the taxi, I said, "today, Yu Na!" The taxi driver smiled and said, "ne, 1:00!"
As I arrived at the clinic, every TV was tuned into the Olympics. Crowds were beginning to form as everyone anticipated Yu Na's skate. I had my appointment and was then shuttled to the Pharmacy (which is really a whole story in itself)--thank goodness the driver had his little TV playing in the car-we could watch along the way. We arrived at the Pharmacy but to my dismay there was no TV--I was starting to think I wouldn't get to see her skate--yes, I was totally caught up with the entire nation for Yu Na.
As I waited for the shuttle to return me to the subway station, the valet, handed me his phone, seriously, so that I could watch while I waited. Awesome!
At the subway station, I thought, "I'll try to sit by someone with their little TV on--someone always has their TV on." A sweet girl was walking along side me, thru the station, watching her TV and I asked if I could join her. She graciously said, yes and we walked side by side watching Yu Na skate. We hopped on the subway and continued to watch.
It was so cool to step onto the subway and hear the music and cheers coming from all of the TV sets. We continued watching and as she finished and her scores were posted, claps and cheers went through the subway car.
I then joined another woman, who spoke perfect English and we nervously watched the next few skaters together and chatted.
I arrived home as the medals were awarded. I heard for the first time the Korean National Anthem and thought about what a fun day I had celebrating with Korea.
All of this said, I was sad that the US did not win a medal. It was exciting to see them skate so well but when you live here, and all of the coverage that you're watching is in Korean, there's a different focus and experience to watching the Olympics.
This afternoon the sports channel has replayed the final four skaters over and over. Every commercial has had Yu Na and the newspapers shout out, "Kim Yu Na! Wins Gold!"
No comments:
Post a Comment