Trips to Seoul can sometimes be an adventure. I've already had a few since we arrived back to Korea. This past Sunday we were going to visit a church in a suburb of Seoul that a couple of our friends have been going to. Todd and reviewed the web site directions, went over our subway map and determined the best route to take from Dongbaek.
Todd wasn't feeling well so he decided to stay back--I would be making this first trip alone. Here is how my trip to the New Philadelphia Church went.
1. 10 minute walk to the bus stop.
2. 5 minute wait for bus.
3. Catch the 5003 to the Gangnam Station stop.
4. Missed the Gangnam Station Stop. Realize I'm at the Woyyoun Apartment Stop.
5. Ask a guy who I think might speak a little English where the Gangnam stop is.
6. He doesn't speak English.
7. I walk across the street to see if I can find a sign leading me to Gangnam station.
8. Call Korea Helpline. And then notice the sign to the station.
9. Begin walking the 3 city blocks back to the Station.
10. Previous guy taps me on the shoulder. He will take me to the Station.
11. I don't speak Korean. He doesn't speak English. We walk side by side, occasionally smiling at each other and apologizing that we don't speak the others language. I ask his name. Te Eun. He is a baseball player. A pitcher. He loves baseball. I mention the St. Louis Cardinals and Albert Puljos. He gives me a thumbs up--he likes Albert Puljos. We reach the station. Te Eun walks me all the way to my subway entrance and watches me go down the stairs to the platform.
15. I catch the subway from Gangnam Station to Seoul University Station.
16. I wait for the church shuttle bus outside of McDonalds.
17. Elasped time: 1:40 minutes.
What a gift Te Eun was to me. I knew how to get to the station but he walked me all the way. We shook hands as we parted, I prayed a blessing over him and thanked God for his kindness to me.
The long journey to New Philly was worth it! What a beautiful community of people. The next journey will be a little easier and perhaps 15-20 minutes shorter because I won't get off at the wrong stop.
Walk, Bus, Walk, Subway, Walk, Shuttle
1 comment:
your stories give me goosebumps. every.single.time. i love how He just puts people in your path (or you in theirs!). beautiful!!
Post a Comment