Last night after a very full and beautiful afternoon I said to Todd, "I'm not trying to meet people. I'm not seeking people out and I keep meeting people."
O-kay, I know what you're thinking, "Kim, what are you talking about. This is your story." I know. But seriously it's been way over the top lately. I always seem to meet people and have amazing encounters with people but it's usually in a more intentional way. Years ago when I got to hang out on campus with some pretty cool college students, I had a prayer that I prayed each day I headed to campus, "Jesus, what do you want to do today? Let me in some way be an instrument of your life and love to whoever I meet." I always kept my eyes, ears and heart open to see what He might be doing.
That has been my prayer here but it's been a more random prayer--I don't pray it often and if I'm honest, sometimes I don't know how God could use me with the huge barrier of language before me (lame, I know). I have found it harder to have those "chance" encounters with people--mostly because I don't speak Korean.
Over the course of the past several weeks I have met several woman.
Serena. I met Serena several weeks ago while waiting for the bus. Her nephew saw me and called me "America!" There is a blog entry about that first encounter under the title, America if you missed it, check it out. I have run into Serena several times at the bus stop. Serena started an English club for stay at home Mom's and asked if I would be interested in helping them. At first I wasn't sure but decided to visit the group last Friday. We had a wonderful time of sharing about our families and where they had all traveled. They asked about my life--which led to a little about my relationship with Jesus, how we got to Korea and about adoption. At one point almost all of these woman were crying. The moment was sweet and God felt near and I wondered if perhaps there was more to me being there than just helping some stay at home mommy's learn English--I think so. I will begin meeting with these beautiful woman every Friday from 10:00-12:00. When I told them that they didn't have to pay me (which was a bit hard for me actually) they were quite overwhelmed and then spoke in Korean for several minutes. They then said, if I ever needed anything to please tell them and they will help me. Anything--even a Doctor because one of the ladies is married to a Doctor and he speaks English so I don't have to worry about anything.
RiRa. RiRa sat down next to me on the bus a week ago. I had just left my Korean lesson and had my notes in front of me. I noticed that RiRa had notes in front of her as well--English notes. We both laughed and then began to talk. We got off the bus at the same stop and discovered that we live fairly close to one another. She asked if my daughter wanted to learn to play piano--she is a piano teacher. I said, yes, she has asked to learn to play the piano many times. She replied, "Oh, good. I am piano teacher. I teach your daughter and you talk to me in English. Same-Same." What? I started to laugh and replied, "really?" and she said, "yes, we help each other." Wow! Same. Same.
Jinny. Jinny runs the cafe I love to visit. Jinny is like rays of sunshine--not just one ray, but multiple rays. Everyone who enters her cafe is greeted in the warmest and most sincere heartfelt way. I like to say she is oozing with Jesus. I visit the cafe a couple of times a week--mostly to see Jinny!
Yesterday (Wednesday), I decided I was going to spend a good chunk of time at the cafe, reading, journaling and writing letters. The atmosphere is warm and cozy and of course there is Jinny who just makes everything wonderful. Jinny took a break from making lattes and came and sat with me for awhile. We talked, she shared her heart with me, we both cried and we prayed together. Jinny is carrying a heavy burden and because of cultural norms, she has not had a safe place to share her heart. I know that Jesus sent me to that little cafe several weeks ago for more than just a nice cup of tea.
MiYeon. Yesterday as I was finishing up my time at the cafe and met MiYeon and her daughter, Sophia. MiYeon had been sitting at the cafe bar talking to Jinny and kept looking at me. I smiled at her and carried on with my letter writing. As she was leaving, I said, good bye and she smiled and said, "Hello! I was watching you. you have a warm heart. something i see in you is different. you were reading, writing and taking pictures. i want to meet you." Whoah! She then sat down and we started an hour long conversation about our lives and families. What happened next still has me spinning. MiYeon said that she had been feeling lonely and feels like meeting me was like God sending her a friend--she wanted to buy Zach and Lia something special at her friends shop as a gift because she was so happy. I kept saying that it was not necessary and she kept insisting it was. We did this for several minutes and then walked next door to her friends shop. Zach, Lia and Todd then arrived, Todd looking at me like, "who is this and what are we doing?" I quietly told him I would share later and then she put a coat on each of the kids, wrapped Zach up in a scarf and said, "Perfect!" Afterward, we all went to have dinner together.
I'm a bit undone and incredibly grateful for all of this and these beautiful Korean woman that I've met. God is writing some beautiful stories.
2 comments:
I LOVE this!
Oh Kim! Jesus is so big and your love for him knows no cultural bounds. Praising Jesus with you!
Post a Comment