Sunday, March 10, 2013

snow days, my journal and 14

Last winter was mild. The temperatures were warmer than normal and we didn't have any heavy, shut the streets down, cancel school, snow days. I was disappointed. I even blogged about my winter disappointment.

Winter 2013 has not disappointed me. Hooray! I know many do not understand my joy for naked trees, snow and cold days but there is beauty in these and I will celebrate and welcome them. We had back to back snow storms this winter that gave us 4 wonderful snow days.

I call these days "forced pauses." Days where you must stop (the second storm had a DO NOT DRIVE warning issued by the State so unless you had an emergency, you weren't suppose to go out). Days where you are forced to rest and pause from the day to day rhythm. I like these kind of forced pauses. We played games, read, watched movies, took naps, played in the snow. We sat and watched the snow flakes as they danced from the sky and listened to the thunder roll and lighting flash across the sky. It was magical and beautiful in every way.

I love snow days.

Three weeks ago we travelled to St. Louis for our yearly reunion with our Hunan Families. These are the families that we travelled to China with in 2005 to bring home our daughters. We have gathered around the Chinese New Year every year since bringing the girls home. The value of this time spent together is priceless. I'm grateful for each of these families and the friendships that we are carrying on together and for our girls.

This is where the Journal part comes in. I left my journal in St. Louis. When we arrived home and I realized it wasn't in my bag, I immediately contacted our friends asking if they had found it. It was at their Mom's house and she would mail it. Due to various reasons my journal wasn't mailed. It's been almost 3 weeks. I miss my journal. Todd has encouraged me to write on other paper and then transfer it when I get my journal but that just won't work. My journal captures moments, thoughts, revelations, prayers and longings so to write these moments on a piece of scrap paper and then transfer it to my journal later, well, that seems strange to me. Perhaps I'm anal. Or even strange myself. I feel like I've lost a lot of moments over the past few weeks and I can't go back and remember each of them so I must move forward and capture new ones. It's funny that my journal has become an important part of my remembering and when I don't have it, something feels a bit loss. Perhaps I'm overly dramatic too.

I wanted to text my friend again to check on the mailing status but I didn't want to be annoying. "Hey, where's my journal!" So I waited a few more days. Each day checking the mail and finding pointless fliers and junk mail but no journal. I gave in yesterday and texted. My journal was just mailed. My friend assumed that I had it already. Stuff happens. No worries. :-) Thank goodness it's on it's way. I'm grateful.

14. Why is the number 14 significant? Monday, March 11th our Zachary turns 14. Every year I say, Wow! I can't believe how old he is. I don't think this will be ending. This morning he texted me from his bed and said, "Mom, I'm getting further into my teens. :-)" Yes, yes you are. Of all the sons in the world, I'm grateful that he is mine. He is a constant reminder that God hears our prayers, He remembers us and He is faithful.

Zachary=Jehovah has remembered

We love you, Zachary Todd. We love your wit, kindness, tenderness, playfulness, thoughtfulness, and teachable heart. You are growing into a wonderful young man and we are proud of you. You are also growing in stature--every day I'm amazed at how tall you are. You're a giant. I'm sure by the summer you will be as tall or taller than Dad.

14. Two more years--driving. Four more years--graduating. Be still my heart.


No comments: