It's the day after Thanksgiving! I wanted to post yesterday but after cooking, eating and chatting for a majority of the day I was just too tired and full to think. Todd's parents, sister, our two nephews and a new friend celebrated the day with us. We had good day. I enjoyed cooking and having our family here.
A year or more ago I was asked to speak at a Woman's meeting at church. I had everything prepared for that meeting until one afternoon when I was at home, fretting about the future and attempting to gain some control over the outcome of our lives. Why do we do this? The energy spent in worry and trying to manipulate our circumstances is futile. No, I'm not saying we shouldn't make plans and make wise choices but there is a reality to the verse in Proverbs that says, "A man's heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps." (I live in Kansas case and point.)
I remember clearly what happened as I sat quietly, going over my notes for the meeting that was just two days away and fretting over our future--I was multi-tasking. God showed up. No, I didn't see Him but I became so aware that He was there with me, at that very moment and the word "thanksgiving" came to my mind. In a moment I started thinking about all that I was thankful for. Suddenly, I wasn't consumed with anxiousness or fear but joy. It was a beautiful moment. I pushed aside my notes and changed everything that I was going to share with the women. I won't elaborate on what I shared about these areas in my life but here is my short list of things that I am thankful for.
Thankfulness.
1. The Cross of Christ. Eternal Life
2. My life isn't about me. It's all about Him.
3. My life from when I breathed my first breath to this day is marked by the faithfulness of God.
4. My darlin, Todd. 16 years of marriage.
5. Our children, Zach and Lia-Joy
6. Family and friends.
7. Our church
8. Seasons
9. Music
10. Nations and Cultures
"The person with an abiding heart/spirit of gratitude is the one who trust God."--Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust
"We need only to know who and what we really are to break into spontaneous praise and thanksgiving." --Hans vrs Von Balthasar, quoted by Brennan Manning in Ruthless Trust
No comments:
Post a Comment