Saturday, December 1, 2007

Mom, I'm getting . . . .

I am sitting at the dining room table trying to have some quiet time. I have my journal, books, candles, and of course my cup of tea. For the majority of the past 40 minutes I have served my dear Lia. Mom, get me something to eat. Mom, watch me dance. Mom, I'm going to blow out your candles. I suggested she go play for a little while and then I would play with her.

Her first response, "No! I don't like anybody." "I'm going to leave this house." And then she announced her wedding! With arms folded and a frown on her face she shouted, "Mom, Wilbur and I are getting married. I'm going to marry Wilbur and you can't!"

I'm still laughing. Wilbur is her imaginary friend. Usually she and Wilbur are playing silly games and pushing one another over. I guess they have moved on from these childish pleasures to something more serious. She's not even 16 and she's threatening to run off with a boy . . . a boy named Wilbur. Wilbur isn't here yet. He's on his way. I guess I need to get ready for a wedding!

2 comments:

amy said...

Now THAT is funny! :)

Becky said...

ah, little Lia. I asked her about Wilbur tonight on the phone. She didn't want to talk about it - first fight, maybe? ;-)