Our toilet has been leaking for several days. I have tried numerous times to contact the front office to explain that we have a "leaking toilet." Each time I call the office, the voice on the other end hangs up on me and another day passes and the toilet continues dripping. Yesterday while chatting with my friend Somer, I decided to get out the Korean phrase book and attempt to string a few words together--I was hopeful that I could be somewhat understood. Somer stayed on Skype while I called and heard me trying to communicate in my broken Korean. After several tries, the voice on the other end again hung up on me. All I could do was laugh.
I then decided it might be helpful to go see Helen. The kind lady from the Jehovah Jireh cafe on the first level of our apartment building. She explained where the front office is located and I ventured off with my Korean phrase book in hand. There was a very sweet lady who greeted me and said she knew "very little English." I flipped to the word "toilet" and then "broken" in my phrase book. She nodded but didn't seem to follow. I then attempted to draw a picture of a toilet, a bucket and leaking water. If I had been playing Pictionary--my team would have laughed. I was laughing. The kind receptionist then made a phone call and said that I should return to our apartment--someone will help.
Well, that was yesterday. Today the toilet is still leaking.
Friday was the last day for Teacher Orientation. Todd had a good but hectic week. School begins Monday. I attended a new parent meeting and took a tour of the school building. It's really lovely--each class has an amazing view of mountains or trees--some classrooms can see both. The staff are extremely kind and helpful--I think they will have a good year. Todd is back at school this afternoon making final preparations for Monday. The kids and I have been hanging out at the apartment waiting for their school uniforms to be delivered. I'm not sure they are going to make it today--something we are starting to see as a pattern. The phone guy still hasn't come, the toilet is still leaking and the uniforms are . . . coming. :-)
The trip to the school was quite an adventure. The kids and I took the subway to Jukejeon . . . where Todd promised to be waiting for us. And he was. We then took a bus to the area where the school is located. It was a very long, steep hill to climb where the actual building is. We tried to make it fun for the kids but they weren't so much buying it. It will be quite a story when they have kids, "I remember the day when we took a subway, bus and then climbed a hill to our school."
A few funny little facts:
1. Zach lost a tooth while we were visiting Todd at school. He's been slow at losing them.
2. We turned on a sports station Thursday night and a Royals game was showing--how weird is that.
3. Mike Bickle was on station called "GoodTV". (Mike Bickle is a pastor from KC)
4. Most woman here wear high heels--I just think that's crazy. I will not be adapting to this. It would be embarrassing.
5. Public transportation is fun, scary and challenging. I like it.
No comments:
Post a Comment