Sunday, November 8, 2009

on her way to mexico

Lia was upset tonight that she had to go to bed. She kept insisting that she didn't need sleep. She also insisted that she should stay awake to insure that she wouldn't be late for school Monday morning and receive a tardy.

Todd told her if she got out of bed again she would get a spanking. This news sparked more frustration and she decided that she would just run away. She started gathering all of her "special" things, wrapped them up in a blanket and headed to the front door. It went like this:

Lia: I'm leaving this place.
Todd: Lia, you need to get back in your bed.
Lia: I'm leaving. You're not my dad. I'm going to Mexico
Todd: I would be really sad if you went to Mexico.
Lia: Well, I wouldn't be sad.

I then joined Todd in getting Lia to bed.

Me: Lia, it's time to sleep--you are very tired.
Lia: I'm not going to sleep all night.

I picked her up, carried her to her bed.

Lia: I'm going to go to Israel. No wait, I'll go to Africa. That's really far away.
Me: Lia, why are you angry?
Lia: Hmm, I don't know.
Me: Lay down by me.
Lia: No, I'm allergic to you. I can't touch you.
Me: That makes me sad that you would say that to me.
Lia (suddenly with a change of heart): You know what, I can be by you. I'm not allergic anymore. I won't go to Africa.

I then got a hug and all was well again--just like that. She is now asleep and the trip to Africa has been canceled. Thank goodness.

1 comment:

Becky said...

you have one super creative child. in case you hadn't been reminded of that lately :-) love and miss you guys!