Friday, December 4, 2009

The week in review

The past week has flown by--seriously, I feel like I blinked and a week has passed. Last week we were preparing for our huge Thanksgiving Feast, decorating our 4ft Christmas tree and missing family, friends and football! Yes, it's true, I said football.

A few post ago I mentioned meeting two very sweet woman at Mosaic (cafe) during Youth Club. We played Wii and giggled a lot. We joked a little, so I thought, about doing a language exchange--me helping them with their English and they would help me learn Korean. I didn't think this was a done deal. Confirmed. Set in stone. Gonna make it happen. But, I was very wrong.

Last Friday we met for coffee. They were eagerly waiting and with gifts. They brought me a children's book of Korean words and their meaning. The front of the book says, "To Kim! Keep Fighting! We can do it! From Sunny! It's written in both English and Korean. Wow! Incredibly kind. But I am somewhat confused.

We weren't just meeting to chat in our broken language abilities, we were going to have a lesson. After a few moments they say, "We are going to eat now. Where do you want to go?" I didn't really have any ideas so they suggested going across the hall from the cafe to a very nice restaurant. The restaurant is set up with private rooms. We were escorted to the room and they ordered our meal.

For almost two hours we enjoyed lunch and very broken conversation and laughter. It was so hard. I was completely exhausted when we left. I can't even begin to explain how difficult it was to listen, communicate and concentrate on everything I said and what they were trying to say. My brain was exhausted.

What do you do when you're exhausted? Take a deep breath and go order a cup of tea. That's what I did. I went back over to Mosaic, ordered a cup of tea and sat down for some more English Conversation. This time I was with a group of woman who speak English very well and like to practice. On Friday mornings they attend a class called Boundaries and afterward, they order lunch and spend the afternoon chatting.

I absolutely love this time.

I could share so many beautiful things about this time. We talk about family, culture, relationships, decorating, God, healing, joys, sorrows--it's rich and full and for me, an answer to prayer.

Today I was with these ladies again. They are each in their late 50's, early 60's. Their children are in college, many in the United States. Most are Christians, a couple are Buddhist but longing for something more, they long for truth and that search is leading them to Jesus.

Today, we talked about Christmas. We talked about our children. I heard the stories of several of the woman, whose parents fled North Korea during the war. I heard them share their hopes and fears for a unified Korea. They encouraged me about the struggles of living in another culture and how they believe that one day Zach would look back and be grateful for this time. Amazing.

After we left Mosaic, three of the ladies, who actually live just around the corner in a very nice high rise apartment building wanted to show me the facilities of their building. They keep saying we should move there--I'm pretty sure it's out of the school budget. :-) I agreed and then we went back to one of their apartments for tea. It was fantastic. And their building, ya, it's super nice.

Thanksgiving! Let me just say, it was FANTASTIC. We had 34 people in our apartment, enjoying good food and fellowship. It was loud and crazy but so fun.

What else happened this week . . . well, I started work. Yep, I'm the new school librarian. All in all it went really well but I'm missing my free time and having a clean apartment. LOL! I'm only working 21 hours a week but after commute time it seems like more. I shouldn't complain. I'm grateful for the opportunity and the salary.

Todd is looking forward to winter break. He continues to work so hard! Tonight, he and the other guy teachers went out for a beer after work. I think it's good for him! Take a break, laugh with the guys and enjoy some good beer. The place they go to is called Raccoons! Why they named it that is beyond me but Todd says it's actually a pretty descent place so they are going to try and make it a regular thing.

I've posted pictures on Flicr and will add a video or two from Thanksgiving.

Zach and Todd are at Youth Club tonight. Lia is asleep and I'm enjoying a glass of wine, blogging and listening to the sounds of our very busy neighborhood.

What a life! :-)

1 comment:

amy said...

OH.
MY.
GOSH.
I.
MISS.
YOU.