Monday, August 30, 2010

Mr. Han

Sunday morning Zach and I had scheduled to travel to the Northern part of Seoul to visit Laurie who has been fostering a sweet little dog named Lucy. Since mid-July we have been corresponding with Laurie about possibly adopting Lucy. Yes, you read that right. Zach and Lia have been begging for a dog all summer when we returned to Korea.

We now live 1.5-2 hours from this particular part of Seoul. We had this date planned for a week and had to change the day once so I didn't want to cancel but it was pouring down rain and commuting in the rain is tough. I do not exaggerate when I say it was pouring.

Zach and I made the 5-10 minute trek to the bus stop and were already soaking feet.

When we got on the bus I decided to call the Korea helpline to confirm that I had my directions straight. Red 5000 bus to Joggak Station. Joggak Station, Line 1 to Wolgye Station. As I was talking to the sweet Korean lady on the helpline the gentlemen in front of us turned around and asked if he could, "be of any help."

He speaks English. I said to Zach, "I love how God always provides."

He was actually going to the same stop and getting onto the same subway as we were was so he said that we could, "follow along with him." And so we did.

We reached our stop at the subway station and had to walk a short distance. The rain continued to pour and we were now soaking. We did have an umbrella but it's tough for two people to walk side to side under a normal size umbrella and not get a little wet.

As we stood on the subway platform, I asked the kind gentleman his name. He said, "My name is Mr. Han." We shared a little bit about where we are from--he actually knew where Kansas City is and what we are doing in Korea. I told him where we live here and he said, "We are neighbors!" I thanked him several times for helping us and he replied, "It's o-kay. We are neighbors."

When we made it to our destination at Wolgye Station we had another 15 minutes walk in the pouring down rain to Laurie's apartment. It was all worth it. Lucy (the dog) greeted us at the door, tail wagging and body leaping up and down. Lucy is a super great dog. Are we going to get her? We are leaning towards a yes but need a few more days before making our final decision.

The rest of our journey was wet and wonderful. Along the way home we needed some assistance to confirm we weren't going in the wrong direction and each time there just so happened to be someone who spoke very good English and helped us on our way.

Zach and I had a great day together. We had left home at 9:00 am and returned home at 2:00 pm tired, wet and grateful for God's provision to us throughout the day.

No comments: