Sunday, January 3, 2016

A man named Bill

Today I found out that a man I knew many years ago passed away. Bill was a unique man. He was  a man who loved Jesus and cared for those in our community that most don't notice--the homeless. I met Bill before I was a Christian. Though he was short in stature, he was intimidating. Bill spoke whatever was on his mind and often came across quite harsh. If you knew Bill and could look pass the harshness, you would see that there was a tenderness in him and a love for Jesus and people.

I haven't seen Bill in years. I wasn't even sure where he was. Since returning from Korea I had not seen him so today when I heard that he passed away, it surprised me. Bill in all his harshness and say it like it is, is part of my Jesus story. Often when I've shared my story, I mention Bill. He did everything I would never do and encourage others never to do--He was in my face! That is not exaggeration.

In 1987 I met a group of college students who loved Jesus. I liked hanging out with them but didn't want to go to church or hear about their Jesus. One evening a group of us were hanging out when the conversation turned towards spiritual things. I was very uncomfortable. No one was being rude or obnoxious, they were simply talking. I stayed quiet and tried to blend into the wall. That was until Bill directed the entire conversation to me. He would not relent. He asked tough questions and challenged me in ways I had not experienced before.

When I left that night I went to my friends apartment and cried. I was shaken. Bill made me think. He challenged me to think about eternity and Jesus. He told me I was a sinner. As I think about that evening I laugh. He just straight up said, "You are a sinner!" I endeavored to defend myself and was offended by his judgment. As I wrestled with his words and also the kindness shown to me by these Lovers of Jesus, something started to shift in me. A desire began to grow in me to know this Jesus that they spoke of.

As crazy as it all is and was, Bill is part of my story. In many ways he shared Christ with me in all the "wrong" ways and yet God used his servant and son to open my hard heart to the Good News that would change my life forever.

Thank you, Jesus for Bill. Thank you for the hope of eternal life and that Bill is in the joy of your presence forever.




No comments: