Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Worms, Blue Gill, Laughter and Sweat

Last summer I took the kids to a wonderful Children's Farm just south of us. It's a beautiful place with lots of fun things for kids to explore and enjoy. One of our favorite farm activities is fishing in the small pond. For $3 you get a bucket of worms and a "cane pole" and can fish until you run out of worms.

Zach has a friend here from Columbia for a few days so we decided to take him to the Farm! We arrived at the farm at the hottest part of the day but were excited to pull in some blue gills and do a little exploring. As I went to the small concession/bait shop to get our gear the attendant suggested that I cut the worms into thirds to make them last longer. What?! I just looked at him with a confident smile and said, "no problem!" Running through my head though I didn't know how I was going to do that--cutting worms into thirds sounded disgusting!

But I am the "mom"--I had to put on my "I am mom and can do almost anything" face and start breaking(tearing or ripping)those worms apart and putting them on the line. Ugh! It was disgusting--just as I thought!

What I enjoyed was hearing three terrific kids laughing and catching fish with such pride and excitement. The blue gill were tiny but the fun great.

Added to the excitement of our afternoon was a near plunge that I made when my camera fell into the pond. Zach had caught a fish and needed an extra hand--in normal mom fashion, I was holding onto numerous other things when out popped my camera--bouncing once on the deck and then into the water! I dropped to the deck, stretched out to reach my camera that had thankfully began to float. I haven't moved that fast in some time. The lady behind me was quite impressed with my moves and kept saying, "wow! that was great! you moved so fast." Hilarious! I had worked up quite a sweat after all of that excitement--it was time to wash the worm guts off my hands and head home!

The camera was in it's case but needs a little drying out. I really hope it's not ruined--I will be really sad if our camera is dead. If it still functions I will post a few pics of our time on the farm.

No comments: