Thursday, December 31, 2009

2010

Happy New Year from South Korea!

We are enjoying the second week of our winter vacation! It's been fantastic. I'm grateful for this time just to relax and enjoy slowing down a little from the busy semester.

Our vacation has been pretty low key. We've enjoyed time with friends but mostly we've been spending time at home. Next week we might take a short trip to the coast or maybe to an ice festival that's about an hour away from Seoul.

We did have a trip to the Namdaemyeon Market with our friends, Scott and Dionne. We had a wonderful day--despite a lot of walking a long bus ride the kids did great. I've only been to the market one other time and though it was cold, I found the market much more enjoyable with less people packing the streets--very narrow streets. We made a few great purchases--warm boots and gloves for Zach, a "yo" (traditional Korean bedding for the floor but also nice to add to very hard mattresses) and the best part of the day was finding a little Kebab stand outside the market! We finished our day at the Husted's enjoying a Mexican Feast.

Tonight we brought in the New Year with our friends, Chris and Kim. Chris and Kim live down the hall from us. We met one day while catching the elevator and have been hanging out ever since. I don't know how I got through the evening without my camera . . . I have no pictures or video of us bringing in 2010. We talked, laughed, played Scrabble and enjoyed listening to our kids play together.

It's been an emotional day and yet my heart is full and I'm grateful for the year we leave and the year we are beginning here in South Korea.






Happy New Year from Korea!

No comments: