Tuesday, January 26, 2010

one more thing . . .

This morning as I was attempting to wake up from a very wonderful sleep, I was thinking about Jesus. No, I'm not super spiritual, I was just thinking about how much I love Jesus. I love who He is and what He came to do and what He still does today.

Culturally, Jesus broke all the rules. There are so many examples in the Gospels of how culture and religion said to do things one way and Jesus said in essence, "No, this is the Kingdom of God."

He washed His disciples feet.
He said, "the last shall be first."
He said, "the greatest among you is a servant."
He said, "love your enemies."
He said, "I lay down my life for you."

That's just a few things He said.

The book of John, Chapter 4, is one of my favorite passages. Jesus intentionally goes to a well, He intentionally engages a Samaritan woman, a woman who had 5 husbands and was living with a man that wasn't her husband. Samaritans were considered the least of all society. What did Jesus do? He intentionally loved her and accepted her. Everything about this encounter went against what was culturally acceptable. And the result, a woman and a community set free--eternally.

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even death of the cross. Therefore, God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 2:5-11

1 comment: