Sunday, January 31, 2010

A few price comparisons

The current exchange rate of the US Dollar to the Korean Won is $1=1,170won--you get a little more won for your dollar. There are some products here that are very cheap. Most services are top notch and inexpensive. For example; I was a little apprehensive when I went to get my hair cut for the first time but I needed my hair cut so I went to the second floor of our building and found a hair salon. The service was outstanding and I was pleased with my hair cut.

Here's the breakdown of my trip to the hair salon:

Walk-in and you are offered a beverage
Sit in the hairdressers chair and in my case perform some charades to communicate what I would like done.
Hair cut begins.
While my hair is being cut there is an assistant standing next to the stylist and she brushes off any little hairs that have fallen on my face. True.
Hair cut is finished and I'm taken to have my hair washed.
Now I'm at the sink, relaxed, my eyes are covered with a face mask and I get my hair washed and massaged for the next 10 minutes.
Back to the chair, where not one but two stylist dry and style my hair.
I'm finished. Time to pay.
Total Cost: 12,000won ($10 and tips are not expected and are usually refused)

When you go by the gas station to get your car or scooter tank filled, they give you a complimentary coffee or another tasty beverage.

Yes, services here are outstanding!

Unfortunately, some things aren't so cheap.
Frosted Flakes, 5,800w
Small Jar of Peanut Butter, 5,900w
6oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese, 5,900w (that's almost $5)
Small Jar Pace Salsa, 6,300w
Box of Mac-n-cheese, 3,000w
Pringles, 2,500w
6oz jug of syrup, 8,000w (just under $7)
small block of cheddar cheese, 8,000w
1/2 lb of Starbucks coffee, 20,000w ($17)
6 pack of cheap Korean beer, 8,000w
6 pack of Sam Adams, this breaks my heart to say, 18,000w (Todd said, "Sam Adams has never tasted so good!" It was almost $16)

No comments: