We have had a wonderful day. It's been a lazy day. Zach is off school so we all slept in, ate a late breakfast, played a few games of Candy Land and watched a movie. It's been a peaceful day. I just made dinner and soon will head off to work. Just moments ago the quiet, lazy day took a turn. It went something like this . . .
Lia: Mom, I'm going outside to ride my bike.
Me: Well, you need to get some pants on, tennis shoes and a jacket. (she is currently wearing tights, a leotard and sandals--it is drizzling and about 50 degrees)
Lia: Mom, I don't need to.
Me: If you want to play outside then you have to do what I ask you.
Lia: I hate this day.
Me: Lia, this has been a great day. All you need to do is put on some clothes.
Lia: I'm just fine. I don't need to.
Me: I guess you will stay in side then.
Lia: Put my door back on! (we took her door off because she was slamming it when she was angry)
Me: Sorry, I can't do that. You lay down in your bed and when you calm down we can talk. (she follows me down the hall)
Lia: I'm not going to.
Me: Lia, you are being disrespectful. Go to your bed and calm down or I will need to give you a swat.
Lia: Make me a hot dog! (I just made one for Zach)
Me: You are making a choice to be disrespectful and disobey . . .
Lia: Why am I angry again?
Seriously, that is what she said-why am I angry. I tried not to laugh. We have these moments in our day often. I say no to something or give direction and she decides that she doesn't want to follow--she clearly knows better in her mind. Her door has been off for about a week. She was regularly stomping down the hallway and slamming her door during these moments of anger/frustration. When we took her door off she said, "my room looks different without the door. I want my door back." When I again explained why we took the door off she said, "well, I slam it because I don't want to talk to you." I'm constantly praying for wisdom, understanding and stamina to teach and train her.
She is in her room calming down. It's always wonderful when peace is restored and all is made well again.
No comments:
Post a Comment