Monday, December 7, 2015

Follow Me . . .

I've been thinking about how often the scriptures refer to God's people as sojourners, pilgrims in this life. This life is full of decisions and choices and plans that need to be made and executed for success. There's a lot of pressure to know what you want to be when you grow up! I'm still not sure!

Zach is a junior in high school. He is often asked, "What do you want to do after high school? Have you decided what you want to study? Where do you want to go to college?" These questions overwhelm him and he simply says, "I don't know."

None of these questions are bad. These are normal questions for someone who will graduate in 1.5 years (be still my heart). As we try to process with Zach the options that are before him, I have started to reflect on my own journey and our journey as a family. 

We have made plans, executed plans and sometimes we have even carried out plans but there has also been a lot of interruptions and unexpected changes that have set our lives often on a very different trajectory. It's certainly fine and good to make a plan, but it's also perfectly fine not to have everything figured out. Or to even think that you have it all figured out and discover, you really don't. It's okay to explore, to dream, and to even fail as we navigate what might lay before us. 

I have always wanted my life to feel epic. I have wanted my life to feel meaningful. I desire to follow Jesus, to love Him, to love others and to turn the world upside down with His love, generosity and power. I want to make wrong things right. I want to see the weak made strong and the weary made whole. Often as I'm grading papers for 6th graders or monitoring lunch and recess, my life doesn't feel very epic. I sometimes even ask, how in the world did I get here? Not that I'm above being a teachers aide but I don't see how it matters. It certainly doesn't feel like I'm turning the world upside down.

The disciples were a bunch of ordinary guys. Mary and Martha, ordinary sisters. Jesus called them with two simple words. "Follow Me!" And they did. They followed him from city to city, town to town, mountain sides and valleys, gardens and homes. Nothing about it was neat and tidy. The disciples made mistakes, misunderstood some things that Jesus taught, they doubted and argued, they denied him and left him. But they also kept following him. Some followed at a distance. Through all the ebbs and flows, they followed. I feel a little freedom in my own life when I look at their lives. Following Jesus is pretty epic. And sometimes it's confusing and messy. Following Jesus is meaningful. And sometimes it feels very normal and simple.

My friend Jane says to stay fascinated with Jesus. I think that's key in being a pilgrim. I want to stay close to Jesus. I want to learn from Him. To read and meditate on His word. I want to imagine His Kingdom coming into all the dark, confusing, unplanned, unknown spaces of life and hear Him say, Follow Me. Sometimes following Him will look like grading papers or making sure kids don't throw their food at the lunch table. Sometimes it will look like praying and encouraging a friend. Sometimes it will look like giving to the poor or serving a meal or giving a hug. It may sometimes look like leaving your home and country to move to a foreign land. In it all, Jesus is simply asking us to trust and follow Him.

I'm a pilgrim, a sojourner, following Jesus each day in all the planned and unplanned parts of my life. He is a good Shepherd. 


Christ be with me
Christ within me
Christ behind me
Christ before me
Christ beside me
Christ to win me
Christ to comfort & restore me
Christ beneath me
Christ above me
Christ in quiet
Christ in danger
Christ in hearts of all that love me
Christ in the mouths of friend and stranger







No comments: